Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dangers in blogging

I decided to write a post about the dangers in blogging and staying safe. This morning I was visiting ksl news website and it talked about the dangers in blogging. I always try to be careful, but you really wonder how cautious you should be, for the safety of your family. It was saying how parents should not post pictures of there children on the internet, to protect them from predators. Also, protecting your information. I am a paranoid person, but things like this are seriously scary and I am just posting this to remind us to be careful about the things that we post. Here is a couple of questions that I thought about this morning concerning things we should think of more often.
Question:Do you know who visits your blog?
Answer: My friends and family and probably people who I do not know.
Question: Do people go around visiting blogs of people they don't know?
Answer: Yes, they are called stalkers!
Question: Do people you don't know visit your page on a daily basis, or even a couple of times a day?
Answer: I have no clue!
I know that I made this blog and that the public can have access to it, but a person can put a privacy block on there page where only friends and family can visit it. Great news!
Google has a certain tool that can track where people are coming from to visit your page, I have not set it up myself. But I will be and I think it will be quite interesting to see where a person is coming from and what they are doing when they visit my page... I know that this all sounds so extreme, but it really is a big deal to me. Because I have had comments from people I do not know and then there is no link to a blog?? Has anyone else had this?
Here are some tips I got on how to stay safe:
-Adjust settings on your blog that protect your identity and make you unsearchable.
-Guard information like your address and make sure none of your photos make it visible.
-How much information is to much? Be careful about posting your whereabouts and places you like to visit often.
-Make sure you have a password to safeguard your information.
I got these tips from the ksl news website, so visit if you like.
Obviously a person can not be completely safe, because it is the internet and people have access to your information, if you do not have a privacy block on your page. I will be getting a privacy block on my page in the near future, because stuff like this bugs me and I do not want to expose my family to much.
I admit blogging is fun and I like to put pictures of our family up, so friends and family can see them, or just see how our family is doing. But the scary thought that occurs to me is dangers like this are all around us, for instance taking a trip to the grocery store, maybe a late night drive by your self , playing at the park with your child. Be ever watchful of your surroundings. Well enough about that, I hope I did not freak anyone out.
I hope everyone is doing good and has fun during the upcoming holidays.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

My Mom said there was something on the news last night about the dangers of blogging that I should watch. Funny thing is I was going to look up what they said on the news after I checked peoples updated blogs. You were one step ahead of me :). Thanks for the warning. I think I will be going private really soon too.

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

I watched that news article last night and the whole story was about a lady who had someone copy her son's picture and use it on some neo-nazi advocate website. She was so upset, but it turns out it was one of her family who did it to her. So, I don't know that going private is the answer. If people don't want pictures or information getting around the internet, the only answer is to not post it. I have my blog nonsearchable now and I have a stat tracker to see where people come from, but that's about it.

Joey, Amber, Ken , Ellie, Bruce and Patrick said...

I watched that news article last night and the whole story was about a lady who had someone copy her son's picture and use it on some neo-nazi advocate website. She was so upset, but it turns out it was one of her family who did it to her. So, I don't know that going private is the answer. If people don't want pictures or information getting around the internet, the only answer is to not post it. I have my blog nonsearchable now and I have a stat tracker to see where people come from, but that's about it.

Kariann said...

Thanks for the tips! I've never had weird things like that happen where I get comments from other people with no link...kinda strange! But I totally agree that we should all be more careful! My husband hates that I have one, he hates that everyone can see the pictures and learn about our family...isn't that the point? lol Thanks, for the warning though!!

Alyssa said...

ohh man.. I hope I don't have some crazy stalkers on my hands!!