Monday, February 15, 2010

One thing after the other..

This past week Audrey developed a croup virus and had a fever for about 5 days, which is typical with croup. She seemed just fine, but her fever got up to 104.3 Saturday morning and made me a nervous wreck. My husband stayed calm the whole time and told me she would be fine, because when I gave her a luke warm bath to bring her fever down, she was playing with her toys and acting okay at four in the morning. I considered rushing her to the Dr. office to see what they could do for me to calm my nerve, but most likely they would have sent me along my way with a lollipop telling me that my daughter would survive. What they would have done for my daughter is what they did for us yesterday. We took Audrey in to see if she had something else besides croup, since the fever had not broke yet and was still about 103. The Dr. we saw was not her regular pediatrician, but he seemed to impress us with his explanatory medical knowledge. He wanted to make sure Audrey did not have pneumonia, so we got a chest x-ray and did an oxygen test just to make sure. The chest x-ray showed just a little bit of fluid and inflammation around her lymph nodes in the lung region, but the pediatrician said that was common with croup and it did not look like she had pneumonia. She did get a steroid shot in her leg and during the shot she kicked her leg up and bent the needle. Yeah Audrey she is like superwoman, but child size. Seriously, right before her chest X-ray the radiology tech had me sit her on a table right in front of the X-ray machine and Audrey literally used her strength and pushed me into the wall behind me. I finally got a good hold on her during the X-ray, but she somehow still weaseled her way out of my grip a couple of times. I told Sean she will be a good gymnast someday, since she has a lot of strength. The reason Audrey had to have a steroid shot was to help bring down the inflammation in her throat, so she could breathe easier and not have a chance of her airway from being blocked. Last night we gave Audrey some motrin and her fever finally broke and this morning she is catching up on some much needed sleep. She still has the croupy cough, but I am glad her fever finally broke. Anyways, Adam is getting a cough now. ..... Hopefully, it results in nothing and he is just fine.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry :(! Being sick or having sick kids is no fun at all! Colby, Tate, and I all have little colds right now. Hope they don't last long! Hope your family is all healthy and over their yucky sicknesses soon! Let us know if there is anything we can do!

The DeGiulio's said...

One thing after another is right. I hope your family starts getting better soon. Our niece just got over croup. It made me kinda laugh about Audrey bending the needle, she will take after her mom :) since you were a gymnast right?

The DeGiulio's said...

Oh good I was right about you being a gymnast :) Maybe next time we hang out we can try Red Mango if you want. Its in Layton by Ross, Mimi's Cafe etc. And I agree KSL is a great place to buy and sell things. We have had a lot of luck on there.